Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Project RACE Kids Book Review: The Can Man

My second book review from Lee and Low is The Can Man by Laura E. Williams. I really liked this book. My Mom liked it too, even though it made her cry a little. 
 
The story is about a multiracial boy named Tim who looks about my age and a homeless man who collects cans in Tim’s neighborhood. Everyone calls the man “the can man”. But Tim’s parents know his real name because he used to live in their building. This made me think about the big storm we just had in New Jersey. Sandy was our worst storm in more than 100 years. Lots of people in my town and teachers from my school are homeless because of the storm. 
 
Reading this story and thinking about people I know who lost their houses makes me think about homeless people. They are just like everyone else.
 
Another thing I like about the story is that Tim is multiracial but they don’t make a big deal about it. You can see that he has a black dad and an Asian mom from the illustrations by Craig Orback. But the story doesn’t even mention it. I think it's because it’s not important what race he is. That is not what makes him Tim. The author knows about that because she was born in South Korea and adopted by an American family. It’s nice having a multiracial character when the story isn’t about being multiracial. 
 
This is also a great book for Thanksgiving time. It’s about learning to be thankful for what we have and to help others who have less. With the super storm happening and Thanksgiving coming this is a perfect time for kids to read this book. 

Karson says the best part of evacuating for Superstorm Sandy was trick or treating with his cousins.
 
-Karson Baldwin, President, Project RACE Kids


4 comments:

  1. Great job Karson! Really good insights that will really make people think including me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a really great story. Thanks, Karson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a wonderful book review, Karson. You did an exceptional job. I can hardly wait to read the next one.

    ReplyDelete